View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Troop Quality in preferences

There are two T35M1938's in the game. As this was a multi-turreted beast with a lot more than 4 weapons (all that the game system allows for) there are two versions of it. One emphasizes the AP weaponry (two slots of 45mm guns besides the main gun) another the MG armament (1 slot of 45mm guns and an additional MG slot). The first is 68 points, the second 58.

Comparing specific units to each other and saying th cost is off doesn't work. Units have to be compared to all other units in the game to get a fair relative cost.
The example I usually give for this that of a T34/76 and a Tiger tank, both with the same quality crew. Put them against each other and the Tiger is far superior. From that comparison alone the Tiger should be much more expensive than the T34.
Now put both against a platoon of infantry with heavy AT weapons in close quarters combat. The Tiger will not perform much better than the T34. From that perspective they should be priced nearly the same.

And as I said earlier, encyclopedia cost is for experience/morale 70/70. In '41 for germany actual experience/morale is 75/75 and for the soviet union it's 55/55.
I'm currently playing a mirror PBEM game set in 41 between these two nations. The difference in experience means that with near similar quality of equipment (optics etc) the german crews will have nearly DOUBLE the chance of scoring hits compared to their illtrained adversaries. And more shots for main weapons (5 or 6 for 37mm guns while soviets have 3 or 4 for 45mm guns). It makes a very big difference.

The current relative cost structure, including modification for morale and experience, hasn't been thought up overnight. It has been many years of playing, testing and finetuning to get it to this. It is very well balanced.
That doesn't mean you can't have at a certain time period a relative advantage which seems higher than the cost would indicate. But there are always ways to counter this, although I admit the AI isn't very good at finding the right way to deal with these specific threats.

Narwan