View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Impossible Orders" - Scenario No. 322

Battlecourse:

It is a chilly day here in Stalingrad, despite the sun shining brightly.

From my binoculars, I could see the two high points in this sector, but couldn't make out any Soviet presence there yet. Only white blinding snow dominates the area to the west.

I have ordered these poor Landsers to their deaths again. With very minimal force, we're told to take those high grounds. As if gangrene, frostbite, and lice are not enough for us!

The Panzer reinforcements didn't come full force as I requested, we're given only 5 of them, those whitewashed steel creatures. I chatted with the tank commander, he said briskly he won't dash off in front, no reasons given. I wonder if he's a coward, or too experienced?

------------------------------------------

I see our soldiers advance far in front, black figures against the blinding white. Each step taken is a laborious effort, slogging through this snow.

My compass says southwest. From my binoculars I can't see it yet, but there, is our promised gully, where we will advance under cover. I bet the "K" platoon up ahead can already see it.

I expect nothing but smooth advance through that gully, this is the very least I can give the men. I don't want to see more of them dead.

I turn my gaze to the rear. I see those Machinegunners and Mortar men heaving and tumbling. Poor bastards!

Radioed the tank commander. He must carry those Machinegunners and Mortars. He agreed immediately.

Forward Observer radioed in, asking whether artillery deployment is required this time.

We hunched down, reading the map. Wind is quite strong, the map is flapping wildly. I said to him, the already prepared spots are good enough.

Suddenly I heard automatic shots very far ahead. Raising the binoculars, I could see "K" platoon is still slogging peacefully. Some of them hunkered down, and turning their heads, hearing the gunshots.

I said to my assistant, it must be our southernmost scouts, making contact with the enemy.

But here I thought the southern area is safe!

(to be continued...)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post: