View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom 3 Single-player - I don\'t get it..

Hmmm I love a challenge.
OK lets see.... A package which includes 3 minorly edited maps and a campaign.exe to oversee things. It could be the same map with time changes (forest and swamp gives way into farmlands and plains?) or it could be a big map where sections of it are not playable (no neighbor commands) making 3 different sections of the same map only playable for that each ofthe 3 games.

Game 1:
Ermor (early age) is pitted against a bunch of AIs who are preset to give a fairly hard challenge. The Victory Points are turned on and the game is run with a scoredump switch. Ermor must do whatever it is the storyline says. Something that works in well with the changes they go thru to become mid age. Finding and rescuing the mages that teach them the advancements blah blah blah. Major victory points on that province.

The campaign.exe (hmm I could write this in BASIC Im pretty sure) is what you click on when you feel you have beaten game1. It examines the last scores.html that the game spit out to verify that you did accomplish the mission. It writes minor changes to the game 2 map (hmmm a mod file could be included in all this also but so far Im not coming up with a reason to).

Game 2:
along the same lines with the same god being used to play a game against the AIs on a harder setting but the game is now all Era 2 (mid age) nations. Ermor has advanced into the changes. Same basic thing, stay alive and accomplish whatever it is that turns Ermor mid-age into Ermor late-age (is that where all the undead show up?). Same god, go for the victory points. Some well designed province or province area where you select the native population, the magic sites, the guardian armies, all around the storyline theme. When you get them the game will quit declaring you the winner.

Game 3:
you again run the campaign.exe which finds the scores.html and verifies that you won (yes this can be cheated but who cares?). It modifies the .map file for game three. This time you are playing for all the marbles. All of the AI are on maximum setting and allied against you. No victory points its just a kill everyone else type of game.

Variants:
this sounds kinda hard to get thru. Maybe the campaign.exe could "see" who you defeated in each game and not include them in the next one. And each game could start everyone with a few more starting provinces. Of course for "reality" sake the maps would be best if all variables were removed such as locking in the populaton of province and what sites are there but thats only if the maps are designed to play the same area each time.

Also the last game might not be beatable if its all max AI allied against you (at least lets hope thats as hard as it sounds). But in the 2nd and 3rd games you could grant Ermor extra troops, some starting equipment, pre-researched spells.

If you "create" the god for the campaign (not unheard of in such things) then you could even advance them. Add particular magics and abilities. Hmmm I can even see where some of the gods might be advanced in other ways. If I did a Pangaea version I might have the Druid as game 1 pretender, and in game 2 it could be the green dragon which is the same druid with a form-change ability. For the Ermor one the pretender might start with earth and nature magics and gain starting magic in death and blood as the nation progresses thru its ages.

MAN my brain really cooks in the early hours doesnt it?
Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)