View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Dark Oracle, AAR- Ongoing.

Late spring and early summer, the first year of ascension

Tanacatecuhtli, Mictlan Priest
Tanacatecuhtli had heard of Xolotl’s success in the west, it boded well and now Citalatonac had mastered Mind Burn he would go to join him along with a dozen Jaguar warriors, their ferocity would strengthen Xolotl’s ranks especially with his blessings, the power of Zum Zu’aal conveyed great strength and fear to those sacred to the temples. Xolotl had requested that a squad of the swift eagle warriors be recruited in anticipation of the territories which had archers and so Tanacatecuhtli had left instructions with the relevant people and if it did not please Zum Zu’aal, he felt sure the spirit would let its will be known through its Bloodspeaker.
Tanacatecuhtli knew it was important that he travel with the armies also, he needed to douse territories for the suitability for virgin blood, if their plans were to come to fruition they would need a steady influx of sacrificial blood and the offerings the Temple of the high sun received would not be enough for the blood priests to call forth the armies of hell which he knew Zum Zu’aal would demand be called forth on his behalf, Tanacatecuhtli grimaced, he had read of the ancient blood magic’s and whilst adept himself, the deeper mysteries were shrouded and feared, Was it his imagination of had the room become colder ?, the tribes of Mictlan were used to the sun and worshiped its burning glare, but rarely if ever did they need to use fire’s for warmth as the land itself was more than temperate, moving to the hearth he piled logs and prepared to light a fire….

Mictlipoctli, King of Legends
I could hear whispers in my sleep, a voice, familiar, but the darkness was so warm it had embraced me for too long, who was I? I could barely remember, ahhh, yes, a king, but of where?, memories began to flood back. I stretched my senses and felt cold stone around me and something missing, perhaps I had awoken to despatch a mere thief? Who would dare steal from Mictlipoctli! I would string their innards around my tomb as a grisly ornament!, but no, the lid of my sarcophagus was intact, then some other reason had called me, perhaps the whispers ?. I must awaken fully and enter the world of the living again, my tenure in the underworld was over.

A Tomb Guard of Mictlan
The guard sighed and looked up as his post relief walked in, he had barely started eating the vine wrapped sweet meats his wife had given him this morning and now he would have to walk the tombs on a grumbling belly ! Still, with all the activity in the temples of late and the priesthood proclaiming a new god, he had better ensure he kept to his duties. Mind, he could always take them with him and stop in a tomb hall on the way for a quick bite, unlikely anyone would spot him there and he could always claim he was investigating a noise. Walking hurriedly the guard made for the halls of the low initiates they were always quiet, yes that would do nicely. Propping his spear against the wall next he sat down beneath the coffin filled alcoves and leant back on the wall removing the leaf wraps from his belt pouch, he could smell the lamb and spices, truly his wife loved him this was his favourite. Biting into the first cigar shaped package the guard munched satisfyingly, but it was with some surprise that the rasp of stone on stone broke his gastronomic reverie and looking up it was with greater surprise that he saw a large stone lid being shoved out of an alcove directly above him powered by the bandage wrapped and skeletal hand of its occupant. His shock was momentary as the huge stone lid finished its outward journey and crashed downward, unable to sit up quickly enough the guards Last thought was of the wasted second food parcel as the heavy stone lid struck him in the back of the skull sending rice, mined meat and brains onto the rooms floor.

Mictlipoctli, King of Legends
Mictlipoctli easily lifted the lid of his tomb from its resting place and outwards to the stone’s below, strangely it did not make a crash after he let it go but instead gurgled, this however was of a secondary concern as sitting up he was angered to see that his tome was missing from the foot of his resting place, he would rectify this. How long he wondered had he walked in the underworld, time there had little meaning for the dead had transcended its decaying grip. Noticing the guard’s prostrate form on the floor he wondered why he was being guarded, no one knew of his incarceration in this place, he had gone to rest in a secret place the tomb originally built for him filled with only death for the tomb robbers that would surely come for his great wealth. Grabbing the corpse by the throat he lifted it easily into the air blood and gore raining down from the cracked skull onto Mictlipoctli’s face like a refreshing ruby rain. Tossing the cadaver to one side as the bloody rain subsided the mummy contemplated its next move, it could feel the voice, whispering but it also wanted its tome back and striding into the darkness it left the slain guards corpse with its remaining eye looking forever more at the Last vine wrap that lay by its broken skull.

Tanacatecuhtli, Mictlan Priest
Tanacatecuhtli knelt in front of the small pile of wood he had placed in the hearth and prepared to light the small kindling placed beneath with a coal from the incense brazier he kept burning nearby. Concentrating on his task he did not see the door to his chamber swing silently open and framed against the light was a figure of legend from his nations past.
“Fires do not please me, Tanacatecuhtli, Blood Priest” The voice washed over Tanacatecuhtli like a sand scouring across desert bones drawing an involuntary shiver and forcing the kneeling priest to steady himself against the hearth.
Steadying himself as quickly as possible Tanacatecuhtli stood and spun round, eyes wide and teeth bared in a grimace of fear.
“Wh-Wh-Who are you?” the priest stammered, unable to master the gut wrenching fear that was emanating from the dusty figure in front of him. His memory was sluggishly recalling his venture into the tombs so months previous but the marked change from a dried husk to the night born terror which stood defiant in front of him seemed barely possible.
“Do you not recognise one of your Kings when he stands before you?” The mummified creature hissed from its desiccated mouth.
“You have something which belongs to me, return it or face my wrath”, The threat did not fall on deaf ears and Tanacatecuhtli, quickly turned to his papers and uncovered the black tome which he had taken and shakily proffered it to the figure’s bandaged and outstretched hand.
“Mictlipoctli?” ventured Tanacatecuhtli, the husk nodded and the jagged hole which formed its mouth stretched into a grim rictus. Tanacatecuhtli could scarcely believe his eyes, here in front of him was the most legendary and bloody king Mictlan had ever known.
“We will no doubt meet again, Tanacatecuhtli” the voice murmured, “I feel we share a common destiny” and before another word could be said, the thin figure turned and shambled from the chamber leaving Tanacatecuhtli, shakily reaching for the flask of spirits in his desk.

Zum-Zuaal, Eater of Children, God of the Obsidian Blade and Jaguar King
Zum Zu’aal could feel the figure making its way from the city such was the power it emanated; he also knew which of the great ones had answered his call first. Mictlipoctli, King of Legend had returned from the depths of the underworld to serve the Eater of Children, the heads of the four statues shifted and graven smiles crossed the unholy faces of the women. Languishing on the stone lip of the edifice the young girl could feel the heat of the blood splashing onto her exposed flesh and knew instinctively that her master was pleased, she slid a delicate hand over the side and felt the warm vitae reach up to meet her fingers.
“A great ally comes, my sweet one, I will speak to him through you” the girl nodded and slid backwards into the fountains warmth. Mictlipoctli strode into the chamber that he had slain a thousand virgins in.

Xolotl, Tribal King
Xolotl was pleased with his progress, Lama to the west of Cacian forest had fallen easily with little casualties although some of his slave warriors had lost their lives in the Last skirmish and now a moon priest and Tanacatecuhtli had joined him bringing a squad of Jaguar warriors with him, the recent battles had fired his blood and the tone of command and presence he now exuded was bolstering the men’s morale, the jaguar warriors would only add to that. He had seen them fight before but it was when they were injured they became most dangerous, their flesh rippling and changing into the fearsome were-jaguars becoming bestial with increased strength and battle prowess.

Undrase was his next target and reports had told him they had archers, which probably meant that he could levy them if they could take it. He had not wanted to face arrow fire without either his own to counter or the eagle priests to fly swiftly over the battle field to engage them before they could do too much damage. Still, if he placed his slaves up front to draw the arrow fire, and his armoured spear behind to soak up overshot he could put his own weaker slingers to the left to give cover to the charging ranks and place the jaguar warriors to the right and told to charge straight in. He was positive the infantry would break under such force and minimise any damage. Tanacatecuhtli had told Xolotl of the return of the legendary king, that must be a good sign, though he wondered what horrors the mummy would call for him to fight alongside, these were interesting times indeed reflected Xolotl, two weeks to Undrase another battle, then rest while the moon priest, Citalatonac searched for sites of power, it would give him time to capture some slaves from the surrounding countryside and possibly gain some archers of his own, that would take him into summer, not the fastest advance, but a strong one none the less, he hoped the god would be pleased.