Thread: Scenario Zovs Scenario Conversions
View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2018, 04:20 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Zovs Scenario Conversions

Okay, so this will be a long(ish) post, so please bear with me.

So, this is technically is just a continuation of my ASL Scenario conversions. The first two packs were included as part of SPWW2 DOS Version v7.01 in scenario slots 204-223.

Design notes:
With these conversions, I am no longer changing units to have historical names (i.e., leaving A0 as A0 instead of 3.Pz.Div.HQ, etc.) and instead you will find the formations that historical fought in the action in the scenario text file and on the map itself. Generally, I have placed this on the left-hand or right-hand side of the map, generally.

I've also tried to match up the scenario as best as possible, and in many cases, this was not possible, and so I have chosen instead to create a larger scenario then it's original ASL counterpart. In other words, to retrofit the ASL scenario into the SP Camo context was my preferred method. Going this route has worked out quite well since SPWW2 is more suited to company level and higher scenarios (in my opinion).

An Example...
Say a ASL scenario, due to the physical limitations of the board game (the physical number of counters, and maps, time to play, design considerations, etc.), may only have say 7 and 1/2 squads, one HMG, a couple of leaders and maybe one AFV or one Ordinance with crew, in such cases when reading through the scenario historical information, I based more or less off the actual historical text and aftermath (and some instances I had to do some more research where necessary). Based on those findings I took the liberty to update the original ASL scenario to fit into the SP Camo engine (SPWW2) instead.

So, in this example I might use one rifle company or one reinforced rifle company or two-three rifle companies with a platoon of AFVs, if the historical documentation showed or justified going that route. I also, added some color where the historical texts had it and or other interesting elements that were uncovered during the retro-fit/conversions (historical leader names, terrain, units or other things ASL could not account for).

Map notes:
As for maps, for the most part I let the SPWW2 engine create the basic map based on the battle location, year and combatants. In almost all cases I had to overwrite or fix what the map generator created (not that it did a bad job, but sometimes it just did not line up with what I wanted and/or the historical text indicated). I would say that map creation takes up a lot of time to get it right. On several of the maps I used the traditional ASL maps as a very rough guide and then expanded upon that. Two examples are the Coconut Plantation and Guryev's HQ. If you own the ASL scenarios and boards and if you look closely enough, you'll spot the original map, essentially.

Scenario Notes:
Some of these scenarios will be hard to win, that was my design intent from the beginning, I wanted to present a challenge to players playing against the AI and have done what I thought possible to help the AI out. If you play these PBEM then you’re on your own in that venue. I hope that by making these challenging that folks will get more replay value out of them, especially against the AI.

Future Plans:
I currently have around 250 or more ASL conversions planned (I have literally thousands of ASL scenarios) with the first 50 being fully tested and completed. The next 10 should be ready over the next week or so and I have 30 more that are either in play-testing or in design/development with more (a lot more) to (eventually) follow (God willing I live long enough to continue).

So, my plan/goal is to release these in series of 10 scenarios per pack, with this first posting you get five packs or 50 scenarios.

Release Notes:
Attached to this first post will be where the scenario packs will be located. For each pack that I release, I'll add a new thread to the posts here which will indicate the scenarios in that particular pack. So following this thread will be five posts each with a summary of what is in that scenario pack.

I also decided to start off with scenario number 601, so in these five packs there is scenarios numbered 601-650. My ongoing work has me in 651-690 (currently, all in various states of design and or playtesting).

Playtesting and Kudos!
Lastly, but even more importantly, I want to give very big heartfelt thanks and enormous praise to RetLT (Tom) for all his tireless playtesting help, comments, suggestions and encouragement during the playtesting of all these scenario conversions. Without his endless testing and great feedback I would not have been able to create and polish so many scenarios. Thanks for sticking with me and testing these RetLT!

Our work in this (as designer and tester) has been like one of the scenario titles (although it’s also a great labor of love)...Into the Grinding Mill...

If you spot anything in error please let me know, otherwise...

I hope that you enjoy these scenarios as much as I did in creating them and perhaps they will bring back for some-those old Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader memories some of us had as kids (without the smell of mildew-y cardboard, knocked over stacks when the dice landed on the maps, or shortage of counters, lol) but even more so to provide many new and exciting SPWW2 memories as well...

Enjoy.

EDIT 10/22/2018 - Added scenario Pack 6 (can only add 5 per post, so see the last post for pack 06).

EDIT: Removed attachments as they have been updated and placed into the 2019 patch. 3/28/2019

Last edited by zovs66; March 28th, 2019 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: added pack 6
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zovs66 For This Useful Post: