View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2014, 03:13 AM

Private

Kazeto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First-time player thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahjim View Post
Thanks for the advice. You're right - I'd mostly ignored crafting, at my own peril. I also hadn't ever run into hand scanners despite multiple playthroughs. That definitely makes things easier. However, I dunno, I guess I was just never a fan of the infinite spawner baddies in roguelikes.
Ah, true that, those can be annoying. But for the most part, having any area-of-effect or multi-target attack capability (I haven't ever seen the former in this game, but the latter is easy enough to obtain) makes those easier, or at least more manageable. Sure, there are still places that simply can't be completely cleaned out, but it's always possible to control their population well enough to clear the whole map of goodies and other monsters.

And if we are talking about multiplying enemies being annoying, then here's a more annoying one: puffers, the monsters that can multiply themselves on death. Admittedly, those only annoy the completionists as they deal low damage compared to other monsters, don't seem to deal any status effects nor inflict diseases, and don't even move (and thus are great for getting experience once you get a shotgun or machinegun or whatever else of that sort).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahjim View Post
Auto-explore is definitely wonky and can get you killed. Not in the sense of, "oh, now enemies are blocking my way back," but in the sense of your guys walking off to one corner and asphyxiating. It seems to happen more on shipwrecks and planets with ruins on the surface.
I think that one has something to do with how auto-explore doesn't stop until everything is explored and some caves and shipwrecks have tiles that count but cannot be seen without a hand scanner (or can't be seen ever, in some cases, unless there's an item I'm missing that allows teleporting during away missions). Considering that the auto-explore seems to work in small-ish steps, it's not inconceivable that it could try to reach such a spot and run like a moron between two close-but-not-yet-close-enough locations.

Oh, and it's possible to stop such foolishness of the script by simply right-clicking anywhere. So if you pay attention, that's some sort of solution.