View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Slovakia OOB

Quote:
Gud said:
Currently the Slovak OOB runs up until 1943. While presence of Slovak units fighting alongside Germans ended in 1943, the Slovak army did not vanish into thin air, and in 1944 several units of it took part in Slovak Uprising, fighting against their former allies. Any chances for extending Slovak OOB until end of 1944 (by December 1944 regular Slovak army was dissolved and remnants fought as partisans) ?

Apparently explaining this in the Game Guide was a total waste of my time. Why I bother is increasingly a mystery to me.

No, the Slovakian armed forces did not "vanish into thin air" but for the purposes and scope of this GAME they did.

A few construction units and some third rate security units do not make for much of a game unless they are set up in a sceanrio and it's dead simple to build a scenario using the existing units to represent some partisan hunt or uprising. I could have easily let that OOB run to the end of the war with those type of units but then someone ELSE would have complained about the crappy forces they encountered when they played their campaign as the Russians in 1944 and Slovakia was one of their opponents

If you want to model the uprising using "Slovak" troops you can do that with only a little bit of ingenuity with the sceanrio editor but "Slovakia" ended being a serious opponent after the Mobile Division was pulled from the lines due to heavy losses and the 2nd Slovak Infantry Division was disarmed and transferred to Italy as a "construction brigade" and that is when we decided to end the Slovak OOB

And yes..... I know the Czech OOB only has a token force of partisans until Nov 1943 and they are usless in a "real" game as well but including them was a design decision based on a number of factors as was ending Slovakia when we did

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....