Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2020, 10:24 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

What they've done essentially, with the Chinese designations for ERA "FY-4" is add 10mm more, to each of the two armored steel plates that make up the ERA "panel/case". The term used to describe the plates (And please from memory.) is "flyer/orflyers" which when struck, will shift to break up the jets causing disruption to the warhead thus reducing it's penetration into the RHA armor.

Earlier versions and the Chinese model from the ref below in general follows the history of ERA which started with just Steel plates.
Paras 4-6 get to the issue.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/weap...mmunition.html

There are three other types (That I'm familiar with, NERA, NxRA and SLERA. These have their advantages and many consider them to be better and or superior to ERA. What can't be denied is they're all much lighter. The following covers these in an easy manner, I hope is at the end of the article, you'll see were it's sourced from.

Also though, as I've heard of the technology involved I couldn't remember the names they are also in this article as I've just read it.

So under "Reactive armor technologies under development for battle tanks" you'll find what you want, if you want it.
https://www.asminternational.org/doc...e-e94395d1bb3f

The above comes from the USA Research community, note the sources at the end of each article.

I just don't know yet how much of a difference those 10mm's are going to make a difference. are we talking as a matter of increasing the ERA package as in the game now for the VT-4, by a factor of 10%, 15% or 20% I just don't have the information now to make a "good educated guess". I am pretty sure that it probably won't be more then 20% - 25% at best.

And I'm not "keen" on that 25% until I break out my calculator.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..