Thread: OT - Sentience
View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Private

oli_chose123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - Sentience

I personally think all life is simply programmed. After all, the possibilities of combinations of neurons for a period of 3 billion years could actually lead to a complex biological computer.
Our brain isn't different from a computer. Chemical reactions represent 1 and 0, or in the case of hormones or proteines, 1,2,3,4,5 and more. Everything we do, we were programmed to do it, exactly like we can program a computer to do it.
If we were to program a computer to mimic exactly a human, as in: work, talk, ask questions, even philosophical ones, and be able to write its own code, wouldn't it not be mimicking anymore?
Why would something that dies after a certain time be better than cilicon and metal that can resist time?

I would say that if something can ask itself questions in its "head", it is self-aware. A computer can think witout "saying" it out loud. For me, that's sentient, and self-aware. As said by Ed Kolis, I would think that what divides us isn't self-awarness or not, but the level of self-awarness at witch we are.