Thread: OT: Board Games
View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Corporal

hoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Board Games

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
hoo: what qualifies a board game as female friendly? are some board games female antagonistic? a misogynistic board game? i don't get it.
Simple rules, quick to play and not a war based game. Simple rules doesn't mean simple strategy (see Citadels, Ticket to Ride or even Ra). Other females I know have liked Lost Cities enough to purchase the game to play with their significant others.

This is a gross simplification but I've encountered very, very few females who want to sit down and read the rules to Star Fleet Battles, or heck even Axis and Allies or so. I don't know many who want to play a tactical or strategic war game. Granted there's not a lot of males who want to do that either, but the pool of women who want to play a detailed wargame is pretty darn small.

OTOH hand, trading games, building games or games that can be relatively quick and taught easily are quite popular.

If you are trying to get together a mixed sex game group, Settlers or Ticket will be much more successful than a Talisman or War of the Ring (statistically more likely to be successful anyway).

RA = if not the best auction style game ever made in the top 3. http://boardgamegeek.com/game/12