View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Private

Rowlff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM game: Advice and/or recommendations?

Of course, the system we're aiming for would have to do all you describe - and you're right that it's pretty much a standard framework in regard to authorization and such.

But to be frank, without the capability to actually generate turns automatically, there's not much sense to the whole thing, is there? If the 'owner' of a game had to go to a webpage, download all .2h files to his home machine, host the game and reupload all .trns (zipped or not), that's more work than just doing it all for yourself with an email-client. Nothing really gained here.
What I want is a system that, once set up, can run (that is: start and host) a large number of games with minimal administrator involvement.

You are right of course, that you need a web server that allows you to run a copy of "Dominions II" and some cron jobs to schedule host runs, but with services like DynDNS that's not that big a deal to do it with a spare computer from home (and I intend to do it myself, once I have changed apartments in January).

Hey, the more I talk about it, the more difficult (or, should we say, interesting?) it sounds... still, I think it's worth it (^_^)