Thread: Item tweak mod
View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:25 PM

Corporal

Calanor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Item tweak mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
Calanor, I'm unsure why you would tweak the items to such extent. That is not to say that I dont see potential in having the ability to changes items, but frankly I think you should play several dominions games before engaging into raising by one all requirements.

You see, the items requirement in doms are really fine tuned. By adding one level to each, you are totally screwing some races. I will take one example amongst many : you raised the earth boots to earth 3. This prevent Ulm smiths to create them, which in turn prevent them to reach the dwarven hammer. In fact, you are denying Ulm of 80% of his forging potential, and you cripple the whole race.

Now, if your application is only a kind of 'technological' demo of what you can do, then congratulations, I'm sure there is much potential there, but I would never play with such a mod, as it unbalance the whole game.
Um, no, it is not meant as a "tech" demo - it's frankly not that difficult to pull this kind of tweak off, provided you possess some basic understanding of what you're doing. As I believe I've mentioned in the read me, this is basically just a simple tweak in it's earliest phase, where I have made a very generalised adjustment to the reqs.
As for Ulm, I must admit that I don't really see why the increased difficulty in making the Earth Boots would outright cripple the race. All races have been affected by the change. Ulm receives a resource cost bonus when forging items - that's it. Why should Ulm in particular be treated/considered different from other races in this case? Personally, I would have liked to see Ulm receive some special forging bonus that would actually affect the power level of the items they create, but this is not currently the case.

Mind you, I never expected this to appeal to everyone - quite the contrary, actually. I expected most players to arch an eyebrow and question the wisdom in releasing a 3rd party patch now, considering that the demo was recently released. Much like you seem to do