View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2016, 04:04 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road
Default Addressed to Nobody in Particular but

Can we stop with the petty picking on OOBS? I do not believe that the designer should include every unofficial modification, one-off, casual pick-up, and paper project.

Unofficial modification. I once saw a photo of Australian lorries delivering supplies in North Africa. They were usually unarmed. Every lorry had a Bren gun mounted on the back or a .303 rifle in a passenger door mount.

One-off. As some here know, my father served in the SA Armoured Corps in WW2, for a good while on Marmon-Herrington ACs. At one point, related in his diary, they took off the Boys AT rifle and replaced with a captured 28mm squeeze bore. They tore that off and replaced it with a 2 pdr, IIRC, when they couldn't get any more ammunition. I have searched for years, and as far as I could find, there was NO other South African armoured car so equipped. The designer should NOT have to include that.

Casual pick-up. Officially the rifle section has one LMG. Lt. Kruger wants two, and sends two lads to the armoury to get one. Or in stead of a .303, one of the troopies has an elephant gun.

Paper Project. The German E-100 is an example/ AFAIK, no metal was EVER cut for it.

troopie