Thread: Danish TO & E
View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Corporal

Palle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Danish TO & E

A bit more on Danish snipers before bedtime.

In the regular Danish army the only Snipers operate in a two-man team using the SAKO TRG. They have the best NV we have and the first were ready for deployment in May 2006.

The Frogmen, Jægerkorps and SSR (Home Guard LRRP) has Snipers operating as part of their groups. Needless to say these have excellent NV also.

Some few normal rifle groups do as well, if deployed to DANCON or training for it, they too have excellent NV.

Before May that only the Jægerkorps and Frømænd had Snipers, they used the H&K MSG90 or occasionally the M82. The regular army infantry fielded no snipers (since 1988 at least, it may have been different before).

Meanwhile the Home Guard had 1-5 Snipers per Company operating alone or as part of groups (we were able to do both and were most often in Patrol Groups or SEP- the later SSR), Home Guard Snipers employed a special version of the G3 called M66, basically you could load it with your thumb; thus not making any noise, and it sometimes had a scope. We trained to 800 m. This started in 1966, what was there before I am unaware of, as I joined in 1988. And the last Sniper cause was held in Cph in 2002. Soon after, probably 2003, the Home Guard lost all snipers outside of SSR.

This does not fit the current To&E of Danish snipers, but I hope it helsp clarify things a bit. Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Proud to be Danish!