Thread: Stryker platoon
View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2017, 06:50 AM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stryker platoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Does anyone know for sure ( I don't need guesses ) how many Javelin's a typical Stryker platoon would have ready and available for use?

Don
Don, are you asking about launchers (or CLUs)? In that case the answer is two. In a fully manned US Stryker or light infantry Weapons Squad you will have 2x 2-man M-240B mg teams and 2x two-man anti-armor teams who will carry either the Javelins OR Carl Gustavs, plus the squad leader.

If you're asking about missiles, that's a bit more difficult.

As far as the missiles themselves, the game I think gets it right in giving missile teams four rounds. The team would really struggle to carry more than that for any real distance. On the other hand, if you know there is an armor threat or (my own experience) that you're going to be slinging missiles at mud brick grape huts or something, you can cram a lot more rounds into a Stryker. The vehicle has lots of space to tie down your mission equipment and as long as the missiles team stays close they can keep going back to the well for more. So overall I think the way it is now gets it right.

This is all based on what I know from commanding a Stryker rifle company about five years ago. If you want doctrinal verification, Field Manual 3-21.11 "Stryker Infantry Company " will be your best source.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airborne Rifles For This Useful Post: