Thread: Stryker platoon
View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:03 PM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stryker platoon

I think giving the CG teams a lower rating makes sense. The Javeline CLU is an incredible piece of equipment with powerful optics. It's used all the time for recon and observation, not just for firing the missile, and the Gustavs just won't have the same capability. I say Javelin OR Gustav because they operate on the "arms room concept," meaning that the squad has the manpower to operate one or the other, but not both at the same time. So one of the weapons will remain in the arms room (or conex, or wherever). Company and battalion mortars operate on the same concept: the company has crews to operate the dismounted 60mm mortars OR the Stryker-mounted 120s, and the battalion mortar platoon can man the dismounted 81s OR the 120s, but not both at the same time. A platoon of Strykers could easily fit twelve Javelin rounds into their vehicles, and I imagine that's what 2CR over in Europe would do if things got interesting with the Russians. As far as AT-4s, yes, we carry them in the rifle squads. I've only seen them 2 per squad, but that was in a COIN environment. I'm sure facing a heavy armor threat that the platoon would draw more.

Back to the question about vision, though, a present-day US infantry company (Stryker, Mech, or light) fields enough weapon-mounted thermal sights (various types of the AN/PAS-13) to equip about half the company. These don't always come out of the arms room either, but the MG teams at least almost always carry them. Obviously they don't our the same capability as the Javelin CLU, but they are added capability nonetheless. Also, our newest helmet-mounted NVGs that we were using five years ago in Afghanistan actually combine thermal and IR viewers into a single image, so vision continues to improve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airborne Rifles For This Useful Post: