View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road
Default Popup Troops

Like any good thing, this can be overdone. In scenario design, the designer must make the human player be aware of his flanks and his conquests.

It is not enough to take a position. You must hold it. It is not enough to advance into the enemy. You must be prepared for his flanking your advance and cutting you off.

Such design tactics encourage a certain caution on the part of the human player.

ON THE OTHER HAND! If the best a designer can do is to put troops behind you to make a challenge that is not good. And sooner or later you come to expect it and it has no challenge. It becomes an annoyance.

SO....let's mix it up. You will have mines sometimes, guerrillas sometimes, strong frontal attacks, flanking moves, hidden defenses, unexpected armor or artillery, but you'll never know till you play.

One thing we will do, I promise you. We'll try to be as histrorical as possible while keeping the scenario/campaign challenging and surprising. And yes, most will be the smaller quick play type.

But you can look for what I call a "Momo" (Monster machine at 6 Flags of Georgia, with tentacle arms, what spins you till you get nauseated), a monster scenario for those who enjoy them.

Give me a little time to prepare some material, do some research and you'll see some scenarios from the old Kunel soon.

THanks for the kind words and the encouragement.

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer