View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: USMC OOB13 (v.7) - flame tanks and misc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
Link to image

I did an icon of the SC; I don't know if it meets your quality standards but here goes... (see attached).

PS Don: How's your health been doing?
No attachment........

Well I was going to post and update sometime soon so I guess this is as good a time as any

It took about a week or two after the stroke to get, more or less " back to normal" ( well "normal" for someone who had open heart surgery a month before the stroke.......) and by the end of May I was ready to start an exercise regime and loose some weight. I wasn't told I needed to.....but I needed to so on May 24th I started walking a minimum of 4km every morning. I only missed 6 days when I was canoeing/camping in September. As of an hour ago I have walked 645.72 km. And I'm doing it in 8 minute per km or slighly under....in May it was 12.5 minutes per km .

Up until a week ago I was on a -1000 cal per day deficit diet........so if I burned 3200 cals I could eat 2200........burn 2600 I get to eat 1600. ...........so there is incentive to burn calorories and you do that by staying busy.

As a result of diet and exercise ......( I actully run some of it every day which would have been a real knee slapper of a suggetion a year ago. After I'd got done laughing I would have suggested a future in comedy....)........I lost 50 pounds in 6 months. March 28th I was 230.2 pounds, I'm now 179 or so. I have nothing even close to high bloood pressure any longer......quite the opposite. I'm usually at the low end of normal now. So much so that I have had a couple of incidents of postural hypotension...which isn't fun at the time but it's childsplay compared to a stroke and open heart surgery.

I can put on the suit I wore at my wedding 25 years ago ( still looks in style ) and I haven't been able to do that in about 20 years. As a result I have a closet full of clothes that hang on me like old bags.

Had a stress test done in June and "scored " a 5.5 MET which isn't good.....about 67% of what a "fit" heathy man my age should be able to achieve. The one I did early this month scored 9.0 which is 109% of what a "fit" heathy man my age ( that's someone WITHOUT cardiac issues......... ) should be able to achieve so I was way behind the curve and now I'm out in front of it.

The trick now is stabilizing the weight because I just spent 5 months being hungry all the time as my "new normal" ........ oh yeah.... I lost all that weight and didn't stop having a beer or two every day which is a real trick but I did it. You have to draw the line someplace

The bottom line is I'm technically heathier now than I've been in well over a decade. I have cheekbones again

Don

Last edited by DRG; October 24th, 2015 at 07:32 PM..