View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2017, 01:42 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragus View Post
Good old fashioned wire guided atgm systems can't be jammed.
And, this maybe true as the US Army has over the past two decades failed to fund "Fire and Forget" ATGMs; Although, Raytheon has a contract to produce "wireless" guided missiles, under the designations: BGM-71E TOW 2A, the BGM-71F TOW 2B, and the TOW 2B Aero.

Now, the question is whether wire guided systems are immune to jamming. Here, I am suggesting the emission of white light would cause the operator to loose target acquisition. The white light blinds the TOW operator, thus causing the missile to miss the target.

It is akin to "...a camera flash going off in your face in a dimly lit room? It leaves you unable to see at all for a brief period of time and then leaves you seeing spots for a few minutes. A laser directly in the eyes can cause retinal damage at the worst or leave you unable to see for a brief period of time." Target lost.

In 1987 a Soviet vessel, the Chukotka illuminated a U.S. Navy P-3 reconnaissance aircraft with an intense light causing eye damage to the pilot. Source.

In game terms, we do not have evidence of a vehicle deployed with a "white light" counter measure. If there existed such a measure, we could increase the EW rating of the vehicle to model the affect in the game.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soviet-laser-on-ship-1987.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	15014  

Last edited by shahadi; November 10th, 2017 at 01:56 AM..