View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Hell is For Heroes.

Hey folks, I'm just working on a wee story at the moment. Thoughts and comments are welcome, as always. The story is set shortly after a massive Terran-Tauren War, in which both sides were decimated. That's about all the backstory I've come up with, so enjoy!

Almec Thrusian stumbled though the corridor, dragging a frightened girl behind him as he watched his world falling apart. A girder crashed through the ceiling, and the girl saved him from a particularly messy death by pulling him backwards with surprising strength. They pushed on through the narrow opening between the girder and the wall, rounded the corner and crashed into a suitably terrified Joss Maiken.
“Mr. Thrusian!” Joss exclaimed. “You're hurt!”
“Thank you for noticing, Mr. Maiken,” Almec replied dryly. In truth, he was far beyond just hurt. His right arm seemed to have a few too many joints, every agonizing breath reminded him of his broken ribs, and he was now convinced that there was more of his blood on his clothes than inside him.
“Take her to the jump-pod,” he said through gritted teeth. “Launch the pod and join me on the bridge.”
“We need to get you to Medical,” Joss stammered. “After that we can-”
“No!” snapped Almec. “Take her to the pod. There's nothing that can be done for me now. Either of us,” he added quietly.
“But-”
“I'm dead already, Mr. Maiken, my body just hasn't realized it yet. Now go.”

Joss took the girl by the hand and began hurrying down the corridor. After a few steps he stopped and turned.
“Mr. Thrusian!” he called. “The jump-pod is the only one left. She must go alone, I know, but what of the rest of us?”
Almec's mouth parted in a bloody smile. “Why, we die gloriously, of course.”
Moving as quickly as he could, he made his way to the bridge, stumbling and falling time and time again, each time wondering if he'd have the strength to drag himself up again. But again and again, he pulled himself to his feet, and arrived on the bridge in time to hear the frightened comm officer report the successful launch of the jump-pod. Unnoticed, he eased himself into a point-defense station and took over from the two lieutenants slumped dead at their consoles.

“This is the TNS Galahad,” the comms officer began speaking into her pickup. “Hailing any ships in range. We are under heavy fire. We've lost shields, the captain is-”
“Nobody is coming, Lieutenant,” Almec said sharply.
All eyes on the bridge snapped to him. The comm officer nervously cut the channel, and the navigator seated in the captain's chair rose quickly.
“Sir,” he said nervously. “As the ranking officer here, you should be in command, even if you are ret-”
“Shut up and get out of my chair,” Almec said quietly. The navigator gratefully retreated to his station, and Almec lowered himself tiredly into the command chair. “It's been a while,” his whispered, patting the chair affectionately. “What do you say? Once more into the breach, dear friend?”

“Sir?” Only the comms officer was seated close enough to hear him.
Ignorning her, he spoke so the whole bridge could hear him. “I know what many of you are thinking, and you're wrong. I can't get you out of this. I cannot pull off a miracle escape. I can only give you death.” He paused for breath, and ignoring his body's cries of protest, pushed himself to sit upright. “But I will not give you an ordinary death. I shall give you a death glorious enough to outshine the stars, a death that will be spoken of for generations. And most importantly, I will make damn sure that they-” he jabbed a finger at the tactical plot showing the three vessels chasing them “-aren't the one's talking about it.”

A quick glance at his chair's readouts showed that the Galahad's chase armaments had been completely destroyed. As had most of her broadside. But her forward guns, and most importantly, three of her forward launchers were still fully operational.
“Nav,” he snapped. “Prepare to bring us about.”

Aboard a small canister floating through space, the girl stared out as the Galahad turned with surprising speed to face her attackers. Her forward guns blazed in defiance of the withering fire pouring down on her armored hull. Three sparks of white light suddenly shot out from her, each heading for one of her attackers. At such close range, a missile made an unstoppable weapon, and two of the ships disintegrated into expanding balls of light. The third, heavily damaged, continued to close on the Galahad, who refused to relent, charging straight at her foe. Too late, her adversary realized she had no intent of breaking off and began to turn away. Seconds later, the Galahad slammed into her amidships. There was a bright flash of light that drowned out the stars- and with the crackle of discharging energy, the jump-pod's drive activated, and the girl was suddenly alone in the dark.