View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soviet invasion of Norway 1963

Yeah, the more-or-less single road MSR problem would certainly incline one to put their best units forward. Good advice.

Unfortunately the AI can't deal with seaborne attacks and has a limited capability to do heliborne ones so these aren't really an option. While it can do a parachute attacks I'm going to assume there's only one or two airborne divisions available and they'll want to use those near Narvik to deal with the main 'Lyngen Position' so they're not available to deal with what's basically a regimental blocking position (1 USMC Bn, 1 Homeguard Bn, 1 Bn of cats-and-dogs) in place to buy time and force the Soviets to face US troops thus, in theory, making their advance more dangerous politically.

I'm doing this in the early 60's because the Cuban Missile Crisis is a convent reason for a confrontation, it's before the ATGM era, everyone has pretty much replaced their WW II stuff with modern, and helicopter gunships are in their infancy so not much of a factor. Should be interesting.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein