View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:28 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Merkava invincible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post

Israeli armor - the Merks - have a decided weakness in their rear due to the rear hatch for infantry mounts or crew rescue. Also, she may store additional rounds in that rear compartment. An infantry AT shot there could be devastating.

You come out with some odd statements at times, said need rear or flank shots, also mentioned if complacent and leave it open it’s a big vulnerability.
Normal operations not really every tank is weak in the rear and has weak spots, most due to engine and cooling needs. Check this but pretty sure more Abrams have been disabled by errant 30mm fire from Bradley’s to the rear than enemy fire.
The hatch is no worse may be better it’s inset you would have to be in the rear 30 degree arc or so not just behind it to target it.

On your American Armor is best occurred to me from European tank trials either the US tankers are a bit slower or the tank is at acquiring targets. My guess Leopard target acquisition is faster as the highest ranking countries are in them. Sad to say as I am British the once dominant Challenger needs upgrading in this area and a new gun from their results.

Not a lot in it I am sure but peer to peer combat I would like to be in the tank with the ability to get off the first aimed shot.

Israel are looking like they will be the first country with full buttoned up capability once R&D is done, hopefully they don’t come to rely on the sensors to much so they can still operate when they are damaged.
They are plastering the tank with sensors in an effort to locate and kill targets as fast as possible, info relayed by battle net, computer takes over and fires if targeting computer is idle.
Already have to a degree but want better coverage (radar?) and even faster response, currently they have to press one button for the computer to take over and return fire.
Part of this is camera tracking linked to helmets as used on top line fighter planes so infantry friend foe detection (slow compared to vehicles) can be sped up and to prevent tank commanders becoming sniper magnets when they stick their heads out.