View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Private

Rysgame is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kevlar equipment

Suhiir, Imp, you both have really good points. But for example, my fighting load (Armor, NVGs, Radio, Ammo, Etc) was around 65lbs. It didn't really slow me down in the short term ( <12hrs) and I could hike with that for days on end. Add a combat load (24-48hrs Chow/Water/Socks/etc) it goes up to around 100lbs. Still very doable in combat environment. Not to mention as soon as shooting starts, that assault pack is gonna get dropped and came back for later.(the armor and such is what I refer to as a "second skin" since I am very comfortable in it and train heavily with it on.) A sustainment load is the full shebang, usually around 125-150lbs depending on time of year and local climate, horrible to hike in, usually anything past 16mi (20-24km) is pushing it, but I have done 50km+ (Or 30ish miles, not sure on my conversion) It sucks, and I am definitely not combat ready after a MAJOR movement without at least 6ish hours of rest/refit. But I know that your average Marine Grunt can make foot movement up to 12-15mi with a sustainment, drop the main pack, and carry out combat attacks with an overall very small impact in efficiency. Done this many times. And making a foot movement with a sustainment load over distances of MORE than 15mi is really rare in a combat environment. You will have trucks/tanks/etc to toss your stuff onto (the items you aren't gonna need for at least a day or so.) Even if that kind of movement was required purely on foot. Your average grunt is gonna drop a ton of extraneous gear. Things like extra boots, clothes, creature comfort items, hygiene gear, so on.

As for the ballistic capabilities of armor, the Current generation (2018-2019) ESAPI plate is rated for 3x impacts of 7.62x39mm before it is compromised, of course that is largely up to angle of impact, range, so on. They cover our chest/stomach, Kidney regions (Side SAPIs), and our backs. Very good armor overall, and the new plate carriers allow a large amount of your freedom of movement and prevent heat issues MUCH more than the old interceptor vests or the DREADED MTV (It was wool lined, because the manufacturer hates you)

As for in game, I imagine that the infantry is generally considered "rested" and with the "body Armor" I usually adjust with the infantry toughness. Insurgents Or other obvious no armor dudes I give a toughness of around 80 and USMC-US Army type I give around 120.

I apologize for the long post! Good Gaming!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rysgame For This Useful Post: