View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2000, 01:57 AM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Approach to Research

To be honest, I think that have not sense discuss about a different tech tree for SE4 , when the game will be gold in 15 days... (maybe we can discuss for SE5! ).
I believe that MM will not change the current system. In my opinion, the only thing that they could do now, it's try to balance the techs, and fix the bugs.

Anyway, talking about the random research result question, I have an approach like Jeb: I don't want to lose a game only because the other guy have more luck than me...
At any case, the random research results should be a game option.

WINGTE:
You said: "SE does have a form of "racial" modifiers but they don't seem to have any impact on the amount or type of recearch any race has access to."

But, what about the Psychic, Deeply Religous, Temporal Knowledge, Cristallurgy, Organic Manipulation, advanced traits?
These techs allow unique extra tech tree, for the race that have the racial advantage... The only problem that I can see with it, it's that some advanced traits looks much pore powerful, than others (for example Cristallurgy, Organic Manipulations, Psychic).

Also, for example, it's possible to create most of the Moo2 races, because you can manipulate the Culture, Physical Characteristics and Vocational Aptitudes.

Psilons: select the Scientists Culture, decrease the Physical Strength, and increase the Intelligence (research).

Alkari: spend your points in Defensiveness.

Bulrathi: Select the Warriors Culture, and spend your points in Aggressiveness and Physical Strength.

Mrrshan: select the Warriors Culture, and spend your points in Aggressiveness and Maintenance Aptitude.

Darloks: spend your points in Cunning.

Silicoids: select Xenophobes Culture, decrease the Reproduction and the Political Savy, and increase the Environmental Resistance.

Etc...

In my opinion, the SE4 Race settings, are MUCH more flexible than the Moo2 settings (and the Moo2 race settings were a great feature).
My only complaint, it's that think that some of them, still need to be balanced.