Thread: OT: Champions
View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Champions

About 25 years ago, I used to enjoy playing the Pen and Paper RPG "Champions". I was quite sure no one had heard of it, since I had lost my rulebooks about 23 years ago when I moved out of my folks' place. I had actually looked around for the books when the internet got more common, but never found anything, and stopped looking when the 90s were over. Recently, I had a look once again, and am now really flabbergasted and confused. May I ask some of you wise gamers?

Now, when I search, I see that the game idea has been franchised and now released as an MMO, (champions online).

Frankly, I am not terribly interested in an MMO. I wanted to get my hands on some of the PnP manuals. I would even have purchased a SP RPG (I did actually purchase "Freedom Force", thinking it would be much like what I was looking for, but was dissapointed).

So I checked out the wiki, and according to the WIki Site, the MMO is based on the PnP game I am looking for. Yet what I didn't know is that the manuals that I once owned are apparently (??) redone and now part of a larger system, the Hero System as it is apparently called, which I believe to be some generic RPG system much like Jackson's GURPS. Unless I am mistaken.

So I checked out the Hero site, and cannot make heads nor tails of it. I want to purchase the Champions PnP manual, but cannot find out what is what. I checked out amazon.de (I live in Germany) and they offer nothing from Hero.

So my questions are
1. Can anyone give me the current situation? Is "Champions" a sub-franchise of Hero?
2. I live in Germany. If I want to purchase the Champions manual or manuals, what must I do?
3. Has anyone actually tried out Champions online?

thank you in advance