View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Other games you've played that you like

My first IBM PC was "justified" by the naval game Harpoon which was PC-only.

I already had the rule set, some micro ships, and a few scenario books (one on the Falklands, I recall). But I only managed to get one player v player game of the tabletop wargame going at the local wargames club since there was no interest. That one game was a simple "frigate hunts diesel sub" mission and in the time available in the club not much happened in the 10 or so turns we managed.

The PC version was so much better than tabletop. Though there was nonsense like a Nimrod dropping 100 sonobouys and all became little individually reporting sonars.. In reality, back then a sonobouy processor could only run a relatively modest number of the things (in the 16 - 24 sort of figure - depends on the sonobouy). Guess who worked on AQS901 for the Sea King and so was "Mr Picky"

The first version of Harpoon was really good - the later ones went all multiple window, and lost the ease of playability.

There also was Red Storm Rising - a cartoonish sub simulation that worked rather well, and 688i attack sub which was a bit "meh". Task Force 1942, then SSIs great naval battles series.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: