View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Private

MarcoPolo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Combat Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kolis View Post
Well, sorry this isn't the most definitive answer, but right now we're still at the point of trying to be flexible in terms of singleplayer vs. multiplayer and network vs. PBEM... that's probably a significant part of the reason the combat issue is so thorny - we want to create a satisfying singleplayer experience without making multiplayer too complex or too different from singleplayer! I personally think strategic combat with detailed fleet setup and planning, but little to no player involvement once the battle's started (a la Gratuitous Space Battles) would be a good compromise, but then that might be my bias for multiplayer speaking! One idea that was proposed, though, was to do battles similarly to GSB as described, but in singleplayer and network games (but not in PBEM) to break the battle down into phases - say, every 30 seconds the game pauses and you can adjust your fleet's tactics to take enemy fleet composition and tactics into account!

Yes, I suppose that does imply real-time combat... sorry for the confusion about having "decided" on a turn-based system! Not sure where Alikiwi got that idea, and he's not working with us anymore... the whole combat resolution mechanic is really still up in the air; I'm just presenting here the option that came up and I remembered and I liked!
I am also with you on the GSB type combat resolution. I think anything that doesn't detract from the real substance to this game is a positive thing. Combat for Turn Based games is always a sticky issue. For now I think you made the right choice. GSB is quite novel in how it sets a battleground and just lets the player set their basic formation up and worry less about other things. I wonder will the players be able to at least move the units around or head them off to one particular focus point in the battles?

Well it sounds like you guys are at least moving along from what seemed an unworkable impasse. For that I congratulate you fellas. I personally was really not looking forward to a SEIV clone. I hope your game proves to be a step in the right direction filled with engaging gameplay and innovative ideas.