View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2019, 07:44 AM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German vs Soviet Strategy

I myself am pretty thankful there are bombers to be had. So at least there is one person who does appreciate your effort in the past.

In my opinion Tupolev Bombers are quite good as they are a low cost unit and can threaten a tank.

In the current game some german planes must have attacked some of them as they dropped the bombs too late. Could also be a technical malfunction, but i highly doubt it.

The variety to be had in the WW2 rosters are what makes them superior compared to MBT's. Let's say a MBT roster has only couple of different infantry squads available and you only spam "Infantry Company" makes the game a lot more dull than let's say in ww2 you can have Cavalry, Motorcycle, Partisans, Penal, Conscripts, Guards, Infantry and so on. There is a lot more variety and that is a strong point in a game in my opinion. It is no wonder though, as the ww2 rosters are based on an actual war and most of the MBT rosters are not, so you really can not know what those countries would come up with in an actual war.

There are many type of Steel Panther players to be had. Some like to play PBEM games and enjoy building armies without knowing their opponents armies and some like to play scenarios. I suspect most of the players like the scenarios and probably most of the players play only against AI. PBEM Meeting Engagement battles are probably not very popular in the big picture.

There could be another thread about strategies in specific scenarios but in my opinion the scenarios are only playable once, as the fun in them is the variety and not knowing what to expect. So spoiling the strategy would probably spoil part of the fun on them. There are also a lot of quality differences in them, but some of them are really good. Ww2 Scenario number 32 "Rivermen" have probably been the best so far. There are also couple others, but do not remember their names or numbers.

In my little experience (20-30 PBEM scenario battles, 2-3 vs AI), ww2 seems to have the better scenarios by far.

Those two armies i mentioned as an example could be used in a game Imp suggested. Please do try and report to this thread how it goes ?

Mobhack vs Imp. Soviet vs Germany armies made by my example, do it.

Large map and 30 or so turns. Victory hexes in the middle.

I predict soviet loses no matter who plays with it.

Last edited by Isto; June 1st, 2019 at 08:34 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Isto For This Useful Post: