Old May 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Corporal

czerpak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: when to fire back

Quote:
PatG said:
Quote:
czerpak said:

Ideally scouts should be used as...scouts. If you need to use those valuable units to supress enemy, maybe your force composition is not quite right.
Make an experiment - try a game with your scouts' weapons OFF. See how valuable info you will get from them, especially in later parts of the game, when they are behind enemy's line.

Much more cost effective will be e.g. using mortars to supress spotted anemy units and leave scouts to keep an eye of them.

cheers
Czerpak
I don't disagree with what you are saying - in fact that is exactly how I use my scouts. However, I have found that, when the tactical situation warrants it, a scout unit can usually take one or two shots at a unit and remain unspotted. This can add enough supression to make your assault go through.

Note that I tend to play Japanese with one scout per platoon as purchased. This is a higher ratio than some other armies and the scouts represent a significant chunk of the platoon's firepower. The much more expensive "recce platoon" boys need to be treated more gently.
sure, as I said before it depends on tactical situation, force composition, time limits etc., exactly what you are saying.
At the end of the day, if our litlle conversation helps some less experienced players pick up few ideas and improve their game, we made our point, right ?

And yes, it did happen to me to use very valuable reckon unit to shut down annoying gun. Question of priorities and risk taken.