View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Missiles and point-defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerBob
The simplest, and most direct change is to try to improve their basic durability. ...

A more reasonable idea would be to increase the missile reload rate, ...

Likewise, you could improve missile speed, ...

Missiles could simply be made unshootable, ...
I think the list of options available to improve missiles is at least:
  • Smaller missiles (fewer random impacts with other projectiles, improved performance against slower point-defense)
  • Faster missiles (less time to react, less time in "kill zone" of point defense)
  • Multi-stage missiles with multiple warheads (like the Multi-missile, some warhead might be missed)
  • Multi-stage missiles that just "jink" to come in at wider angles (like my Ambush missile or Phlagm's superior Zorg missile)
  • Faster reload speeds (like my Jackhammer missiles, has similar advantages to Multi-warhead approach)
  • Higher damage output per missile (so it overwhelms shields if anything gets through)
  • Increased missile range (they'll at least have a shot at hitting sooner, and get a couple more volleys off per battle; but it's of no benefit at overcoming manual anti-missile fire)
  • Unshootable missiles (though as you mentioned this makes point-defense guns irrelevant, and also washes out the "flavor" of being a missile)
  • Decreased cost value of missiles to reflect their poor performance
  • Fewer or rarer point-defense guns (especially removing the default one that all normal Terran player starting ships have)
  • Fewer or rarer energy beams
  • Eliminating energy beams and/or point-defense entirely
  • Longer reload cycles on energy beams (so there'll be gaps in the coverage)
  • Shorter ranges for energy beams
  • Fewer or rarer targeting computers
  • Larger fleets, or more weapons per ship (similar to reload speeds or multi-warhead, it just hopes to provide too much incoming fire to shoot it all down)
  • Better mix of weapon types on AI ships (so formations or commands designed to shoot down missiles might be vulnerable to other weaponry)
  • Disabling the "Fire" button much as you did to the "Retreat" button.

Probably, some mix of the above is needed. I doubt any one change will handle all the potential issues with missiles as they exist now. I've implemented some of the above in my mods already. A few of those ideas I haven't touched on at all though, and some I'm not sure I'd be willing to do unless making a totally new mod based around it.

Last edited by sgqwonkian; November 30th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: added emphasis