View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Narf has gone looney and wants to GM.(Edit

Quote:
Jack Simth said:
Sounds like something I might have fun with, but I can't seem to figure out which file the character creation method is hiding in. I'm finding racial descriptions, class descriptions, and whatnot, but I'm not quite finding the character creation mechanisim. Any idea where it's hiding?

Also, a thought on multiclassing as a monster type: dormat genes - the character has demon/draconic/fae/whatever blood, but for now, the normal genes are dominant, and the monster genes (and all the nifties, such as special abilities and extra hit dice); however, enough stress (experience) could bring them out. Until then, it's just a special effect.
Base D&D character generation is to roll 4d6 and discard the lowest die; do this 6 times and put the scores wherever you want in your stats. Your base scores are rarely actualy used for anything themselves; they produce modifiers that, well, modify things like stat rolls, skill rolls, how many bonus spells you get if you have a spellcasting class. Your modifier for a stat is (your stat - 10) / 2.

Rolling will probably be on the honor roll, unless anyone wants to be paranoid, in which case rolling will be done on openRPG with people watching.

I don't really care if you cheat, gamewise. If you make characters who can take on anything, that's what you'll get. Out of the game, I'll think your a greedy pig. But I don't think we have to worry about cheating.

If the sum of your modifiers is 0 or less, you scores are considered to low for an adventurer and you may reroll. Same if your highest score is 13 or lower.

If we go with point buy, I'll probably go with standard point buy, 25 points and the following chart:
Code:

Stat | Point cost per level | Total
9 | 1 | 1
10 | 1 | 2
11 | 1 | 3
12 | 1 | 4
13 | 1 | 5
14 | 1 | 6
15 | 2 | 8
16 | 2 | 10
17 | 3 | 13
18 | 3 | 16

After that, there's the base saves, which are Fortitude, Reflex and Will and run off Constitution, Dexterity and Wisdom, respectively. These help with surviving poisons and disease, avioding traps and some spells and resisting mental and some spells effects, respectively.

If you need anything else, just ask.

As for hidden racial genes, sure. As long as the confusion of realizing their hidden talents keeps them from properly focusing on their class(not gaining levels) until they have enough enough unused levels to meet the level adjustment of their hidden genes. Not sure if that's what you meant.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.