View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:53 PM

Corporal

Tomas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Al-Hawl Offensive Battle Report

So we just finished this PBEM (the turn was 45 i think).

Results

I've played as YPG/Syria. Most of my forces advanced via northern road to capture objective north of Al-Hawl. Part of the forces was sent to probe Al-Hawl from the east and finally two platoons went to south using road to scout enemy positions south of the city.

The advance of the central group stalls on eastern outskirts of Al-Hawl and is unable to cross the river and enter center of the city. Northern group captures village in the north and tries to rally to make fast assault across the open plain and enter the city. Southern group is pinned by long-range fire from HMGs and can't advance, so they just wait behind the hill.

Main force has hard time advancing towards the city, as they're constantly pummeled by enemy mortars and howitzers. With help of heavy smoke barrage they managed to cross the plain and enter the city from the north. The battle in the city is very harsh and YPG is countinuously harrased by enemy artillery. Several enemy strongpoints are destroyed using F-16 CAS with AGM-65. After capturing the city remaining forces advance slowly to the south, while friendly arty bombards southern objective. Two APCs are lost to unexpected Malyutka ATGMs.

Sole remaining BTR-60 captures the now vacant southern village.

Notes:
- Insufficient firepower of YPG must be countered in using large force concentrations, which in turn makes them easy target for arty
- Being unable to locate enemy artillery positions is painful, especially when your forces are concentrated and visible in the open areas of the map
- No smoke grenades make everything even worse
- I'd definitely exchange a bunch of F-16s for one little UAV to find the goddamn mortars

Thanks for the great scen!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	14326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1034
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	14327  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post: