View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2016, 02:02 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

It came up clean twice on mine before this posting though, last night when I found this one I had two other "safe" sites from Russian sources at the time of posting that, last night my current system blocked them as Malicious Software.

All I can say is go with your "gut", I used to use "Defender" and "Security Essentials (SE)" from MS however I got away from them as I had virus intrusions with both one which led to a system crash (My old XP PC with Defender.). I learned my lesson at first, both were backed by top rated compatible freeware software as well. Then I'd put the MS products to the background and upgraded to the AVASTI security suite but their independent lab test results started to drop off. I've been using Bitdefender Total Security now for about 4yrs. The 2017 suite is the only one currently offering "Ransomware Protection."

Another reason for the switch was the .mil site servers would block access from hotmail accounts because of the weak security protocols MS had in place for several years.

The current MS Security Essentials Anti Virus is the best they've ever had to date. That being said and everyone knows how I "look into things" I'm very happy where I'm at. The independent test lab results are very good in my case.

I've said several times out here I'm not the software/programmer type, but security is after all security whether it's physical or otherwise-enough said.

Do your research, I do recommend paying for a anti-virus protection suite based on independent lab testing which places like PC World, PC Mag and CNET etc. etc. refer to in their recommendations.

NEVER put "All your eggs in one basket.", Find yourself a strong compatible anti-virus freeware to back up your system currently AVIRA, AVG, AVASTI (Getting back in the game again with top ranked tested products.) and a couple of others offer a lot of features.

Again make sure this software is compatible to your OS and your current protection program, if not, in order of degrees your computer will run slow, you can get conflicting reports, Blue screen (Happened to me once way back.) and finally the software can conflict with each other to the point your system is less protected or in rare cases NOT AT ALL PROTECTED.

Know how your security software works, the risk will always be there sometimes the box will come up because it's a software certificate issue to malicious software detected or in my case an attack has been blocked. I'll see around 3000 blocked events in a week for various reasons that my weekly/or real-time security report breaks down.

Like the game, make yourself safe and follow your instincts this is not an area I choose to "blow off" with the amount of increased/increasing hacker activity we're seeing over the last few years now.

Don (Everyone) sorry for this but this is a topic I take very seriously. I don't want to see anyone hurt financially or otherwise because they weren't properly protected.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..