View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2006, 05:33 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 10 questions from the devs.

Having lots of fun!

1) What are your favorite features/items/etc. in the game?

Pausable tactical combat with interesting varied damage to ships, interesting different equipment, abilities etc.

Mod-ability.

Finding new stuff.

Getting into interesting tricky situations in the game, like when damage or not finding the best toys leads to choices and risk-taking.

All in all, very well done. Gripes below are signs of enthusiasm!

2) What are your least favorite features/items/etc. in the game?

Not infinite enough. From the title I was hoping for more infinite space, more infinite and varied play. More going on - more to find.

Not varied enough situations.

Part of that is the balance not being good enough. Retreating is too automatic. Some of the weapons and equipment are too good. The built-in goals and economy are too limited. Conflict without the good stuff is too risky, and it's too likely to be able to avoid conflict until just being given the good stuff. Best example is the Hyperdrive, which is perhaps too often lying around or available for trade for a few coins (not to mention the swap meet), and then the player can often hop around picking up free toys and fleeing anything dangerous until they can beat opponents.

There's no penalty (besides time spent and momentary disappointment) for failure, nor even a record of it (I'd like to see stats on how often I don't do well - see the averages and failures - not just the best pay-off from a long-shot spoiled-brat playstyle).

I think only ships designed for ramming should be able to ram, especially by accident - Gargans only. Space ships would probably get wiped out by a collision, and would never try.

I wish I could reverse in combat - not just move forward and run into problems when getting too close with no rear-firing weapons.

It'd be nice if aliens would run away more. I don't see them do it much even with the "run when all weapons are out" option turned on. My example of why there is an issue with weapon values, fleeing, no reverse, etc., is the situation that I've died in a few times, where my ship is healthy and defeats one enemy but doesn't finish it off completely - it has maybe one weapon half-left. I then turn away from that enemy either to engage another, or just because I'm too close and want to avoid a collision. The crippled enemy then proceeds to shoot me in the back with its one half-working weapon... and the damage piles up quickly. I can't easily maneuver to turn around to settle its hash before it's caused serious damage or even destroyed me. So I should have stopped sooner and blood-thirstily wiped him out, when I'd sorta rather not for role-playing reasons. If I had a rear-firing weapon, I expect it'd probably fire automatically with almost no way to prevent it, too.

The five-coins trading system doesn't leave much room for scale of value.

3) Which map size do you prefer?

Small for more interesting limits and challenges, but large just because there's more there.

4) Which player ship do you prefer?

I like them all.

5) Do you think the bosses (Kawangi, Primordius, Vent Mother, Deep Hunter, Garthan carrier) are too easy, too hard or just right?

About right, but maybe too predictable, without modding.

6) When you play Weird Worlds do you "play it safe" or do you play risky?

I try many different play styles to add to the interest. I wish there was more reason to play it safe, as in statistics. If it kept track of my survival rate, I would try seeing how well I could do without dying, and/or how high I could get my average score.

7) When you play Weird Worlds, do you "roleplay" it?

Sometimes a little.

8) Do you keep a Weird Worlds shortcut on your desktop?

No - way too dangerous!

9) Who is your favorite Weird Worlds character?

Esmerelda.

10) Do you own/play Strange Adventures in Infinite Space?

Edit: Oops - I thought you meant the current version, so I answered "Yep/Yep". After reading Will's answer, I realized you meant the previous game, so that'd be "Nope/Nope" - I'd just heard about it third-hand - a friend of a friend who was addicted.