View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Private

Sam08 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to Edit Icons

Hi Cross, thanks for the info! I really like how you did the canvas on the trucks.

My problem is that I can't seem to turn already-made graphics into good-looking SP icons.

I'm playing a German long campaign, and slowly replacing the icons in game as I use them. I don't have the time for a full-blown mod, so just a little at a time. I've even brought out Close Combat 3 and tried replacing SP icons with those-results are mixed.

Usin GIMP, I can create an SP palette by indexing the colors of a picture of the SP palette by going to indexed mode from RGB. No problem there.

My problem is taking an icon I already have (24 bit) and then having GIMP color the image according to the SP palette. GIMP assigns colors based on luminosity, not what colors actually looks like, leading to some bizarre-looking icons.

I'm better off often letting SP translate the colors to the palette, but if I'm going to touch-up the icons using the techniques you describe, then I need an accurately translated image using the SP palette in my editing program.

Maybe GIMP is the wrong tool? I've seen some plug-ins for Paint.net regarding palette creation and image recoloring, but I was wondering what program you prefer.