National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Daunted by Long Campaign force selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

Artillery upgrades - range is king. If your guns outrange all of his (or most of the time) then counter battery on you is nil, and by you is good too as he cannot reply. Generally I stick to a 80-105mm battery with decent range. Larger calibres make shell holes, and that can sometimes benefit the enemy. Core arty should be mediums anyway, and 155mm stuff was heavy in the day so reserved for the divisional level.
With the Russians there doesn't seem to be anything between the 76.2mm battery and the 107mm battery, and if range is king then the 122mm battery at 210 hexes outclasses them all, even the 203mm (only 208). Thinking of upgrading the 76.2 "Rat's Tails" to off-map so no need to expand the core. Which would you advise? Thanks in advance.

BTW I've had two special battles out of 14 so far and it seems they do count on the campaign results screen. Got 41 points out of 42 possible. Or am I missing something (probably)?
With the Russians my "favourite" off map core arty battery is the 107mm battery.

- Has decent range so sometimes will get good counter-battery fires (when skill has risen sufficiently) as well as being safe from some enemy shorter-ranged batteries
- Does decent damage, certainly a step up from 76mm
- But does not crater the ground, like the 122mm does (which can provide some cover for the enemy and/or make progress more difficult for own troops)

If I see the need to drop a wooden bridge - then I can buy a 122mmm section of on-map howitzers, or possibly off-map from support points. I often buy such "cratering" arty on winter maps to damage his approach routes (roads, wooden bridges etc).

Soviet mortars have decent range - any of them are perfectly fine for core on-map arty, other than the 50mm. The 120mm comes a little later but is an excellent grunt basher.

You should have 1-2 mortar sections for a battalion level core, and 1 off map battery if there are enough points that arty overload does not apply (I usually have 3 foot companies with 1 T34 company in support).

A section of 2 artillery tanks is always worth the points - BT-76, then upgraded to the various 122mm and 152mm SPGs as they arrive. Those can plaster an enemy with direct area fire (Z fire if needed) and do not count to arty overload as they do not have indirect capability. Especially nice when you see a phalanx of AI panzers coming at you - the AI likes to carry tank riders and a few HE lobbed at these will strip them off nicely. Low hit % is no bother with a pack of panzers, since any scattered misses are still likely to hit something.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: