View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:35 PM

Corporal

Tomas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reindeer Games: Blood and Snow

I was playing this scenario with three pauses since the new year's eve and it was definitely fun. In my case, the battle ended with marginal victory and Russians never reached Ivalo. They started to lose cohesion since turn 30 because many tanks and APCs were already immobilised or destroyed. Finnish defenders paid huge price though, as most of their brave units at chokepoints were overrun.

My recommendations/ideas:

- Ammo! Finnish guys would hit and run, if they had some ammo for their AT weaponry. Perhaps some small central ammo dump or section with tracked carriers would definitely help. Most of the units were without ammo after first contact and didn't have any chance to replenish it and strike again later on.

- Just technical note - the Russian division mentioned in briefing was disbanded during the Russian army reforms, some other unit should be used (not totally recent OOB, but not old either baummil.org/RussianArmedForces.html)

- Regarding T-62M1V as MBT to do the decisive breakthrough to win the campaign for Russia -- sounds too desperate even for me.

Current Russian armor status [source: Military Balance 2014]:

Active:
350 - T-90/T90A
650 - T-80BV/U
150 - T-72B3
1400 - T-72B/BA

Reserves:
200 - T-90
3000 - T-80B/BV/U
7500 - T-72/T-72A/B
2000 - T-64A/B
2500 - T-62
2800 - T-55

Considering the above, I'd really leave this old machine as last choice for such task.

Thank you for the scen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post: