View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2018, 07:58 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestion regarding artillery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
The game doesn't care which observer adjusts the fire, other than the initial one (for time of arrival) and LOS when the shells fall. The mission isn't "owned" by whatever observer called the shoot, just whichever one you decided to do the last adjust with is allocated as the last one to spot it, and hence any LOS issue is from him.

So - its perfectly OK to find your most skilled observer and call with him, then adjust with whoever has the best LOS.

The only advantage of multitudes of observers is that it can give you a couple more "gold spots" in some cases, and you have them in areas where they might have LOS to the impact hex if trees and smoke do not obscure LOS. But observers can be expensive items.

Me, I just buy one just after A) and call from him and aujust using him even if the adjustment is blind most of the time. About the only time I use someone else may be for some danger close fires, and I will use a command element that has LOS and accept the extra +1 or whatever per adjustment just to make sure.

But your worrying about "who owns the shoot" is not an issue. The last observer you used is the one who now owns the mission so simply find the one of several you have on the map that has the required LOS (if any) and use that, and consider using a company or platoon commander with LOS perhaps, if they have requisite LOS, accepting that they may be slower shifters.

But that is my "issue".
Since it is so easy to have the wrong observer "call the shot" simply because you can't always remember who has the best LOS to the target hex AND which artillery aims where.
You have to exit and enter the bombardment screen all the time because when you have plenty of artillery and observers you have to keep doing this, especially if you accidentaly giver orders from the wrong observer to the wrong artillery.
That's of course if one does it like I do and wants to have as accurate/speedy barrage as possible.
Years earlier I too would just use just one observer, if that. Many times I would just use my HQ unit.
But, as I see accuracy (and speed as a secondary thing) changes if the observer sees the target hex or not, I prefer whenever I can to do that.
It's not about experience of the crew or something.
Don't get me wrong, this is clearly not a bug or anything bad on its own. It's more a quality of life type of thing. At least as I see it.