View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM

Corporal

Brian61 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: GE Long campaign - small core

Glad someone is enjoying it

As far as best in the Wehrmacht actually less the a dozen units in the core are elite status. Admittedly some of those are nearly in the Michael Whitman category at this point and I'm only a bit over halfway through the long campaign.

Larger height maps would, I think, just give me more room to outmaneuver the AI, larger width maps.. maybe but I don't want to get into a situation where I'm throwing real world tactics completely to the wind and doing wild rushes hither and yon.

Scattered victory hexes do make it more difficult, I tend to use those for some battles but I like the objectives to have tactical/operational meaning - this last battle I just plain screwed up and didn't move a few v-hexes from the center to just in front of the supply depot. Otherwise, the victory hex placement was just about perfect from a tactical objectives point of view.

I have the AI bonus in config set to 125%, I hesitate to up that too much because I have another long campaign with a small infantry core that is in the early stages. What I'm considering doing is creating a useless unit, say a ammo cannister duplicate that costs half as much as my entire core force, and add that into the core. When deploying I'd just place it in a grey hex so it automatically retreats.

One thing I have been doing that does make the battles more difficult is to use single hex entry point deployment of my forces. Effectively this is increasing the map size without giving me additional space to maneuver and also gives the AI a few turns head start.

I really do not want to start messing with the default player preferences, for one thing that would mean someone else trying out one of the battles would have a very different situation. Another reason is that I'm considering getting back into pbems and playing with a different set of preferences would throw me off quite a bit I'm afraid.

Despite the victories, many of the battles in this campaign have had their touch and go moments where the wrong move (or bad random) could have resulted in a drastically different outcome.

For storyline reasons (and the fact that a armor heavy force in urban terrain is a horribly bad idea) I've been avoiding Stalingrad even though the long campaign generator keeps trying to throw me in there Still, I think sometime soon KG Krafft will find itself in another delay/defend/advance/assault mission which should prove more challenging.