View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2016, 08:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SPWW2 handicaps vs AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
I fail to understand the condemnation with z-fire. Is it just against players who recon-by-fire every tree line, hill or building they encounter?
It is the ability to fire on something without it being spotted that set SP apart from the other games and made me a lifetime fan back in the DOS days.
Because Z-fire/Area-fire is sort of an instantaneous artillery barrage: the volume of fire is big and instant, despite the firer not being artillery units at all. I mean, even normal artillery units usually don't have such rapid-reaction; now we're talking about normal infantry units with small arms, yet the suppression they create is equal if not worse than normal artillery fires, with all the benefit of being instantaneous.

But for me, the worst thing is this: 1st Platoon is encountering enemy units, with direct LOS and direct fire; but suddenly 2nd Platoon across the hedgerows and forests, probably half a kilometer away, without direct LOS to those enemy units (in real-life, probably wouldn't even know there's enemy there!) suddenly opens a concentrated fire against those enemy units, as if some Jinns or Spirits or Gentries are giving them Divine Inspiration as to where the enemy units are.

Even in modern battlefields, with all the sophisticated communications ability, units rarely do this kind of thing. A military unit is usually concerned with its own boundary, area-of-operation or line-of-advance, based on the Planning Phase. If asked to help other formations, it would not be so instantaneous as Z fire allows.

I mean, we as players already have too much God View and coordinated/consolidated efforts. Z-fire only boosts this coordination even more.

Besides, Steel Panther's scale is 50-meter, and that's a big area even for Direct/Targeted fire. So I kind of think that Direct/Targeted fire in SP, may as well translate to semi area-fire in real life.

But that's my personal reasons, other players may have their own reasons, supporting/against Z-fire. Honestly, I don't want Z-fire removed either, because I know there are situations where Z-fire can reflect real-life area fire (nothing comes to the top of my head right now though ).

Cheers!