Thread: Scenario Battered Bastards
View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:42 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post WoF: Battered Bastards Battle Report

War of the Flea: Battered Bastards Battle Report
Date: April, 2016
Battle Location: Gizai, Lithuania.
Battle Type: United States Defense v. Russian Assault.
Design by: Thomas Garlock, “Grant1Pa”

Battle Date: May 27-29, 2016

Background: Russia began its incursion into Norway in April 2015, following by a flanking attack into Finland in December. Now, in April 2016, the fighting to the north has stalled and battle lines have stabilized. Realizing the initiative has to be regained, Russian Forces now move into the Baltic States.

Situation: NATO air is attempting to interdict the Russian 336th Independent Marine Brigade with at least one MRR supported by tanks, movement east to Vilkaviskis, with Vilnius as the enemy objective.

Enemy Forces: Elements of the Russian 336th Independent Marine Brigade with at least one MRR with tank support.

Friendly Forces: Three companies of the 506th Infantry Regiment, supported by a screening elementof the 32nd Cavalry Regiment, fire support from the 320th Field Artillery Regiment (on and off map), and Apaches from the 1st Battalion of the 101st Aviation Regt.

Mission: The 506th Infantry Regiment will deny the enemy access to Marijampole by destruction of his forces engaged in area.

Design Notes: A very well thought out scenario, unfortunately, the AI is most stubborn when it comes to mechanized assaults. Here again, we have the APCs out running the leg infantry. When in practice the infantry dismounts and approaches ahead of the Infantry Fighting Vehicles or Armed Personnel Carriers. There has been considerable discussion between members on the dismount and advance of leg infantry in front of APCs in the forum. Click here for discussion:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...38&postcount=1.

Russian assault doctrine has had considerable discussion on the forum by Tomas. Additionally, in the game guide, assaults or breaches are covered in length too. The obstacle is how to plan AI artillery bombards forward of an assaulting force. Click here:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...73&postcount=1 .

In my opinion, Army Air is crucial to defeating the Russians. Keep your Apaches in sections, while moving them in concert. Keep them at low altitude and behind cover, rising to high altitude to fire at targets, then return them to low altitude behind cover. When attacking APC’s inactivate missile stores and use canon fire only. Alternately, when attacking tanks, turn off canons and use missiles only. You will have to carefully manage the ammo trucks for reload of the Apaches and FA units.

Reserve at least one section of 155mm FA for counter battery fires.

Grant1Pa has already range and filtered the US forces. Great job at it too. So, for the most part sit back and let your side respond with opportunity fires.

I have a problem understanding why the Russian objective is Vilnius and not Marijampole. Moving east to control the crossroads at Marijampole makes sense but to Vilnius far to the east near the Belarus border does not given the significance of Marijampole. So, when I opened the scenario and saw US forces arrayed in the east or left side of the map I was dismayed. Alas, the Polish border is near, thus US forces would advance up from there to control the crossroads at Marijampole but why the Russians passing Marijampole for Vilnius going east? Would they not come from the east, thus placing US forces on the right side of the map?

Russian objective

Battle Report

Battle Results

Thank you Tom for another enjoyable and informative scenario.