Thread: German ranks
View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Corporal

Palle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German ranks

Cast a powerful necromancy spell to reply to the question that was directed at me.

First I got to say though that reading through this made me understand why it says "Banned User" at Chuck's name and as a historian by profession I doubt he will ever get to review any Ph.D Thesis.

Anyway, why do I think it cool that the Waffen SS gets its own unit rooster?
-In addition to the replies already made by Pat and Narwan (I think it was). I am also in fact a historian; I do believe that there is no such thing as too much accuracy. I also believe the Luftwaffe rooster, etc are cool. Though I am divided on the issue of a seperate OOB for the Waffen SS; the sheer size of it and the variety of its units would warrant one, and they did get new equipment before and in larger quantities than their Heer colleagues, but on the other hand their equipment was the same as the Heer (if newer and more numerous) and in many battles SS and Heer fought side by side, so they should be able to in scenarios.
-The accuracy point being such an intrinsic part of what I am, I must also admit to a fascination of elite units. I was myself taught to always try to improve and excell, so their mentality is one I understand. And the achievements of the Waffen SS are hard to deny- if only they had not also had that sinister side... but they did, it was part of what made them. I also myself (being sadly too nearsighted for service in the Danish Jægerkorps or the 2e REP as I planned when I was 18), served with the Danish Home Guard SEP (today called SSR), and trained with the LOPKESKS, Jægers, Frømænd and SAS. So I have a soft place for elites. People who has read my other posts elsewhere will also know my liking for The Legion, Marines, Airborne, French Paras, UK Marines and SAS, Gurkhas, Sikhs, etc, etc.

That being said, I am a historian and with one grandfather in the Danish resistance and one serving as slave labourer, you need fear no Nazi sympathies from me. I personally think Neonazis contemptible lowlifes, but also pity their ignorance and frustration.

Sorry for the Necro, but I felt I had to reply. I could not originally as ... there were some pretty bad trouble in my life that almost cost me my life.

A late merry XMas here as well.

Proud to be Danish!