View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shrapnel to Take on Wargamer.com?

Welcome to our forums, Aaron, and thank you for letting us know what you think. As always, I am awestruck by the level of professionalism with which you write. I apologize for allowing the topic of this thread to become centered on your review of Raging Tiger. I hope if you read through the previous posts you will see that I simply used an excerpt from your review to illustrate a point in our discussion of whether or not review sites are able to remain free of bias regardless of their alliances.

Personally, I am not concerned with whether or not you liked Raging Tiger. We appreciate all reviews written with thoughtful evaluation and which ultimately help gamers determine if a particular game is right for them. My concern is with disparity of treatment which sometimes occurs and is often not apparent to readers. You see, I did “read the review for the actual impressions” but could only determine that the Raging Tiger manual’s page count was too high for your liking. This simply did not make sense to me when another game review posted within one week’s time gave high praise to a 120-page manual. Had your review revealed what you felt were shortcomings with the content of the manual, I am certain we would not be having this discussion today.

As much as I appreciate Dr. Cobb’s offer to take the fall for inspiring this thread, I think we started off on a sour note with “Beverly”’s choice of titles and initial post. And it was I who threw the switch, causing this trainwreck. The developers of Raging Tiger have not made a post in this thread, so if anyone needs to dismount a soapbox, it would be me. And if anyone is “*****y”, it also is me – just ask our staff.

I think if any of us would like to continue a discussion of Raging Tiger, including the positive reviews which have been published, I recommend we take it to the Raging Tiger portion of our forums. Otherwise, I hope we have demonstrated to “Beverly” that our announcement of TheGamingNews has nothing to do with The Wargamer. And I hope if there’s anyone else still reading, they have learned that writing game reviews is tricky business, indeed.