View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recoilless Rifles

Quote:
The RA ammo has a higher velocity which means a better trajectory. You dont have to lead moving target as much and the wind wont be such a big factor. All this will increase the accuracy.
You're right. RA will go faster then have a better target alignement. But that only work at the same range. If you increase range, you increase flight time, and the effect if zeroed back. YOu have better accuracy at the same range, but proportionnal accuracy stays the same.

Besides, from what I have read on the Saab site you posted, all CG HEAT ammo (both 551 and 751) are RA, though HEDP isn't. So are there older HEAT shells with no propulsion?

Quote:
The CG can be used in many roles, but SPMBT cant make differences in ranges for the weapon depending on ammo. It would then be the same thing for tanks that fire SABOT and HEAT but I guess they have averaged the range somehow.
Mmh no, alas there is only overall and sabot range. And for someting as the CG I fear the sabot range value will count as minimum range. What I meant is that if you can lob a HE round 2km away (check the Saab site about the Illum ammo), you can in all earnest lob a HEAT as well, even though it won't be any use. That would mean doubling the range and halving the accuracy, more or less.

However, that would mean that units would systematically fire at max range, even if they have no chance of hitting. Same as they do with AAMG against aircrafts, only they have less CG ammo