View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Sergeant

Rosollia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Vista and Windows Seven Installation

I am running 64bit Windows 7 Home Basic Edition.

If the game is installed outside the Program Files directory and launched from GameOptions.exe the Win7SPMBT.cmd file does not work correctly. Explorer.exe is closed and game starts with no color corruption, but when the game is closed explorer.exe is not restarted. I then need to press Ctrl+Alt+Del and start the Task manager and from there manualy start explorer.exe. Curiously if I do not start the game from GameOptions.exe, but instead directly from the Win7SPMBT.cmd file it works as it is supposed to and explorer.exe is restarted when the game is exited.

If the game is installed in Program Files directory (which you do not recommend) the Win7SPMBT.cmd works fine with GameOption.exe and explorer.exe restarts when game is closed.

By the way the game works just fine from the Program Files folder in windows Vista/7 if you disable UAC (User Account Control). Disabling UAC also disables virtual store.

What I did first with my Windows 7 was to go to the control panel and disable every new UAC and other "security" feature that Microsoft had planted there. Bottom line being that most of those anoying features can simply be turned off.

Also note that when running 64-bit operating system there are two program files directories: Progran Files and Program Files (x86). Your information screen which pops up if the user has installed his game to Program Files folder only appears if the game is in the "Program Files (x86)" -folder on a 64bit OS. The way 64 bit Windows works is that the "Program Files (x86)" -folder is the legacy folder for 32 bit aplications. 64 bit aplications use the regular Program Files -folder...