View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM

Corporal

RedRover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod: Grey Elf Mod

Grey Elf Lite

Since posting the original Grey Elf Mod idea, I’ve been working on an apha test Version (attached).

Having not found any solution to the limits imposed by the troop/commander mix of the base nation, I recast the units to get something playable. The compressions I put the mod through are detailed in the Readme file.

Also, in the spirit of the Halloween season, I’ve cobbled together a Frankenstein of a graphics file, stealing shamelessly from most of the other mods to cover my lack of graphics skill and lack of knowledge about how to access the unit tgas embedded in the game. The biggest weirdness was using the Empire Leviathan for the guard griffin. (Well, it’s big, and not likely to be mistaken for a cavalry or foot unit…)

The alpha should capture these aspects of the Grey Elves: mobile and well equipped, somewhat fragile, few in number, with magic and research ability on par with Caelum's.

Give them a try and let me know how you like them.

Endoperez:
Re. the #coldprot command:

Using #coldprot to shut off Caelian cold resistance did not work for me. Instead of shutting off the resistance, it turned on the #cold chill damage effect.

On the other hand, #clearspec didn’t seem to shut off the capital-only nature of the Caelian units with that feature.

Testing Note:
I've been using the following nations in 6-player testing (Difficult, Aran map, Independent strength 6): Abysia, Arcoscephale, C’tis, Pythium, and Vanheim. That is, the upper end of the food chain, since that is where base Caelum is.

For AI dry tests, I’ve been replacing C’tis with Jotunheim as a Human “dummy” and checking scales every 5 turns. The dummy position usually Lasts about 40 turns.

I’ve been using Lady of Fortune as the Grey Elf pretender for thematic reasons, but am currently unsure how much this may have been affecting the results. Next round of testing, I’m going to try someone else.

Glitch Notes:

#nametype: For some reason, even though I’ve scripted the Storm Mages and Wind Temple Priestesses for female Grey Elf names, I've been getting about 20% Caelian names for the Storm Mages and 100% Caelian names for the Wind Temple Priestesses.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe my name list replacement for list 112 (about 200 names) is shorter than the Caelian name list, but I have no idea why it’s functioning nearly normally for the Storm Mages and not at all for the Wind Temple Priestesses.

#startunitnbrs: Since Grey Elves start with their core unit Storm Riders, I tried to script in a starting strength of 8. This defaulted me back to the Caelian 25-infantry setup (though with GreyElfLite graphics and stats). When I set the number to 10, it started 10 Storm Riders. So it’s 10 in the current alpha.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 307887-GreyElfLite.zip (40.4 KB, 230 views)