View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very impressed

Quote:
Leslie said:
I am using an atypical 800 Celeron with a 32 meg video card of no real import and a more or less mediocre sound card. Running XP and I have nothing else running (to my knowledge).

Changed over to 800x600 and even went to 16 bit colour mode. I have tried scenario after scenario and I am lucky to get 3 turns in without a CTD.

To say I am frustrated is a great understatement.
I am sure the download went fine. I am sure the install went fine. I think I can recite the manual now from memory too

Anyone got any thoughts?
CTD, its an experience I never experience normally.
Going to of course bring this up over at Shrapnel.

edit to add, going to now attempt the "download again" option. Thank god for broad band.

Keep in mind, I am sad, not angry, and I hope I am more or less a rare case here.

The game minimum system requirements are as at http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPMBT/8.htm
and item 1 in that list is:
Pentium II 500 MHz

And as specified in the Game Requirements section of the manual, as well.
"Recommended CPU would be a Pentium 2 of 500 MHz or better.. ."

A Celeron is not a Pentium, unfortunately!.

Early model Celerons have no Floating Point Unit (I think they use a software emulation). Later P4 based Celerons are the same chip (FPU is not disabled) with half the level 2 Cache, so may well be up to the job.

This game does quite a lot of floating-point maths!.

I have put a call out to the playtesters to see if they have actually run the game on that processor, or have one to try it on, but as far as I know it was only ever tested on processors that had an actual FPU. (Pentium 1..4 and Athlon).

We'll see if anyone comes up with any success, but it may well be that we have to emphasise that "Pentium" means precisely that, i.e. Pentium or AMD processors, and (possibly) Pentium 4 based Celerons, but not the early model no-FPU celerons based on the P2 and P3.

Cheers
Andy