View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. AI's: New series. Conceptual thread/discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Make a random map that is either tall and thin, or a map that is very wide and fairly short. Put the noobs in the middle with AI nations on both sides. You will more or less get the funneling effect since each player will only have to defend a certain number of provinces, and you can do this without needing someone to make a map for you. If you are set on having the map come out to your specification however, I think in all probability you'll have to make it yourself. So if you have any games with a map editor you think might be able to do what you want....
A random map or a pre-existing one would have to to if I can't get a custom one made to my liking. Your right, I'd probably need to do it myself.

I think I understand the basics of it:

Create a tga or rgb file using GIMP, Photoshop, or some other suitable graphics program. Probably need like 4 layers, one for the underlying land and sea masses, 1 for province locales (indicated via white pixels), another for the province borders, and another for the drawing or placement of trees, mountain ridges, and other graphics.

The file can then be loaded into the map editor where the appropriate terrain masks and province neighbors can be added.

I might try and give it a whirl, though I think I may lack the artistic skills to make it look realistic rather than artificial (coastlines would need to look like actual coastlines with crags and irregularities, rivers wouldn't be totally straight, etc.).

Still hoping some worthy might step up to assist us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
I would aim for making this game as hard as possible.
I would like the games to get progressively more difficult if possible.

That being said, making custom pretender builds for 10,12, or even 14 AI nations each time may be a lot of work but would certainly add to the difficulty. I'd be fine either way really. Plain random gods, scales, and such would seem more like what one would encounter in a quick single player game though, which is sort of what I was aiming for.