View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:15 AM

Private

JCrowe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Request for more cooperation in order to improve the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
You guys realize that you are shooting SpillBloods efforts here, right?
And apparently, your own.
Gandie -

Hear what you're saying, and the thought had crossed my mind, but ... this whole deal has become a major sanity-sucker. It's enraged a bunch of normally happy people, gotten them crazy angry, and sent at least one to virtual Elba. And I'm pretty sure the staff at Shrapnel have a couple others on a 'watch' list or something of the sort as a result of the vitriol that's spilled here in recent (or not so recent) months.

'Spill's a very honest and sincere guy, and I feel the pain. I have my own way of expression (as do we all), but I sympathize with him on most points. Have totally empathized in a number of past posts. But I feel that caution is advised, and that expectations ought to be moderated. I'd hate to see another enthusiast burned by his passion for this game.

Basically, as corny as it might be, all I'm saying is "know when to hold, know when to fold." At this point in the WS Saga, if Malf runs a fix and makes the world all better, Huzzah! and more power to them. WS could be one wicked cool strat game, and I'd love a chance to play "that game." I can tell you now that I would willing lose weeks of my life to "that game".

But I gotta keep grounded in reality - to the product as it currently stands, and what's it's likely to be going forward. And from what I've seen thus far, I'd put my money in Italian bonds ("Zoibie wants to buy on margin!") before I'd wager it on WS getting a meaningful upgrade.

So, as entertaining as all the electronic fire on this one has been, I rather not see it claim any more victims from the board. It's probably time to call it a lost cause and move on to other things before disappointment and lost hope turn to rage once again.

Of course, I could be wrong. I don't have as much time on the board or experience with indies as you might, Gandi - is this sort of thing typical or expected? Is there a "serious" chance that Spill or any of us could get somewhere with this? I mean, if Bob & Jill and Suzie and Phil are going to invest 120 hours of their otherwise hectic lives to build support and documentation for bug decoding and blah-blah-blah-randomassortedcomputerstuff for this effort to improve WS, are we likely to get something meaningful back in return? Or (once again), are we just chucking personal time down outhouse lane?

Personally, I'd be pretty torqued if I spent another couple months working on docs, scripts, & junk only to see 1% of it run through 12 weeks later as "v1.10! - we changed one small piece! Last upgrade it should ever need!" I wouldn't set the place on fire; I'd sit and stew in 'it', but it could be the 'last straw' for others.

Am I wrong?

If so, what is reasonable? What should the expectations be?
The Following User Says Thank You to JCrowe For This Useful Post: