View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trench warfare 100 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isto View Post
Imagine, a squad waiting in ambush in forest and enemy squad comes within close range of 8 men with automatic weapons who open fire. I say dead squad game says 2 men killed.

Company of soldiers marching through field and two machine guns in the forest with elevated positions opens fire, i say at least half of the company if not the whole company - game says 2 men killed.

Also, irl every single soldier would be pinned down immediately, in the game couple squads has a change to be.

Of corse, there is also the game mechanics of turn based combat that could not be exploited in the real life.

In my opinion the game is fine as it is and would not be so interesting if it would be more realistic in that regard.
Not quite so easy IRL.

Someone on the ambushing side may have get trigger happy, have poor camouflage, or any number of other things that give away the situation. The side being ambushed may have drones or thermal viewers and be fully aware of the ambush.

Also depending on who you're ambushing the situation changes. In many cases they'll break and run, better trained troops will take cover and return fire, in the USMC we're taught to charge the ambush with all weapons blazing (one of the few times everyone uses automatic fire) because your best chance to survive an ambush is to do something unexpected.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein